Sleeping is one of the most important things humans do. It helps the human body to recover from the stresses of the day, both physical and mental. It also helps the brain create long-term memories while it prepares the brain and body for another day of life.
Having the right mattress can make a huge difference in what your body and brain experience and how you feel. The Purple Mattress Brand is only five years old, but the innovation worked into each mattress helps provide the sleeping human a good nights’ sleep.
What is the Purple Mattress?
Less than five years old, the Purple Mattress brand, with its original Purple Mattress model, made headlines in the mattress world for its unique Purple Grid design and multiple layers of comfort. The mattress is a hyperalastic polymer material similar to memory foam that conforms to the human body with greater temperature regulation.
The layers of Purple gird patterns enables air to pass through more easily, while it gives around the human body. Multipel layers of support foam helps support the sleeping body. At 9.5-inches thick, the mattress can provide long-lasting support as a medium-firm mattress should.
What kind of Sleep can you get on the Purple Mattress?
- Weight The original purple mattress is ideal for supporting people of small to medium weight. The layers of support foam provide plenty of support for sleepers under two hundred thirty pounds. Anyone weighing less than two hundred thirty pounds will find their body better supported.
- Side and Back Sleepers Back and side sleepers can find proper support for their lower and upper backs as well as their necks by having the right level of firmness in the mattress. A mattress’s effectiveness comes in the quality of sleep; it can give. A saggy old mattress no longer supports and is more likely to cause sleep disruptions.
- Temperature The original purple mattress has an inner grid design that helps air pass through the mattress. The grid pattern helps keep the mattress cooler during the summer and prevent the buildup of sweat as the temperatures remain neutral throughout the year. Temperature control is a problem many types of foam mattresses have, and the purple mattress grid is one way to prevent temperature buildup even using base layer support foam.
- Motion Isolation While the Purple Mattress appeals to people of all ages and backgrounds, teenagers do favor the mattress because of its motion isolation feature. It allows for a deep, undisturbed nights’ sleep, which helps prevent unnecessary waking.
- Cost-Effective For all the mattresses you can purchase and the number of features the Purple Mattress comes with, it is a very affordable way to get a good nights’ sleep. The innovative design ensures most buyers of the mattress get the temperature control, motion isolation, or sleep cushioning they need.
Couples also favor the Purple mattress for its motion isolation features. It helps prevent disturbances from a restless bed partner. The noiselessness of the mattress is also a feature o the motion isolation components that prevent sleep disturbances.
Who should use the Purple Mattress?
The Purple Mattress is almost a universal mattress. It is good for the stomach, side, and back sleepers as well as people of all ages and physical conditions. The mattress provides proper support through the multiple layers of support foam and helps keep many people cool through the unique purple grid airflow system. It has motion isolation technology and produces no noise from the bed movement.
Are there any downsides to the purple Mattress?
- Heavier Individuals Unfortunately, the unique design of the Purple Mattress cannot provide the same level of support for heavier people. The grid feature helps pass air through mattress, while the foam provides a floating level of support. These features do not work as well with heavier people and will prevent them from enjoying the same level of comfort as lighter sleepers.
- Extra-soft mattress lovers The Purple Mattress design provides long-term support for the entire body. A person who loves to sink into their mattress or prefers the extra padded-top design will not find their level of comfort from the Purple Mattress.
How does the Purple Mattress Rate?
What Type of Mattress Works Best?
- Light Body Type Light body types rate the mattress highly for side, back, and stomach sleeping. They receive four-out-of-five stars for comfort and support based on studies done on mattress sleep types.
- Average Body Type Similar ratings appear for the average body type sleeping positions with side sleepers rating three-out-of-five stars, back sleepers rating four-out-of-five stars, and stomach sleepers rating two-out-of-five stars for comfort.
- Heavy Body Type Heavier body types do better on the hybrid and premier lines of the Purple Mattress. The Original Purple Mattresses design allows for give around the body as it rests. The Original Purple Mattress rated moderately well at three-out-of-five stars for back sleepers, but side-sleepers rate only two-out-of-five and stomach sleepers rated only one-out-of-five stars.
The difference is in the amount of support from the Purple Grid Support. Where the heavier person’s weight falls makes the grid give more and support less.
What Awards as the Purple Mattress Won?
The Purple Mattress is the Winner of the J.D. Power Award for Customer Satisfaction for the purchase of a Bed in a Box. Customers surveyed rated the Purple Mattress the highest for the amount of support, comfort, durability, warranty, and value are given for the Price Paid. The Purple Mattress Scored 872 above competitors Casper (862) and Nector (849).
How is the Original Purple Mattress Made?
- SoftFlex Cover The SoftFlex Cover is the knit covering that holds the mattress together. It is a white knit fabric that is twenty-nine percent Viscose fabric, sixty-seven percent Viscose, Sixty-seven percent Polyester, and four percent Lycra. The bottom of the cover is one hundred percent polyester
- Fire Retardant The layer of fire retardant is a non-toxic barrier that is not the result of chemical treatment.
- Two-Inch Purple Grid The main sleep surface is the two-inch purple grid that makes the Original Purple Mattress unique. The two –inches are a hyper-elastic polymer coated in polyethylene copolymer powder that helps the grid maintain flexibility and resist breakdown. The layer is non-toxic and provides air to freely flow through the layers of the mattress to cool it.
- Middle Layer The middle layer of the mattress is 3.5-inches of almost two pounds of density polyurethane foam. This layer of the mattress is CertiPUR-US as safe for use.
- Base Layer The base layer of the mattress is two-pounds of four-inch density polyurethane foam. The final foam layer also carries the CertiPUR-US seal of safety.
- Height The mattress has multiple layers of support foam in addition to the signature layer of the purple membrane that allows air to permeate its layers. The mattress is thicker than other mattresses for the added support of the high-density polyurethane layers.
Viscose is a fabric made from cloth woven into cellulose fiber. Often called, artificial silk, viscose is not a synthetic material as wood pulp or bamboo is the raw fibers of its composition. The final product is soft, durable, and long-lasting.
Polyester has naturally occurring chemicals in its composition that weaves well with other types of fibers to create a strong fabric of blended fibers. It is a natural cushioning fiber as well as an insulating material because it is stain-resistant and absorbent.
Lycra is a synthetic stretchy fiber that can withstand high temperatures while allowing airflow. The fabric is thinner than other types of fabric that bend and flex without degrading as quickly as other fabrics.
How Does the Purple Mattress Perform?
- Longevity The composition of all the layers helps prevent it from breaking down quickly with regular use. Quality manufacturing and overall performance help give the purple mattress a projected long lifespan when compared with a regular foam or polyfoam mattresses.
- Motion Isolation Motion isolation is important for anyone that has a sleeping partner. The design of the purple mattress helps each sleeper have a piece of memory foam grid that can support the weight of a body. The surface helps absorb most of the movement of each sleeper, with the other sleeper feeling very little as their partner turns over.
- Pressure Relief The conforming purple grid helps provide spinal alignment and neck support for side sleepers. Back sleepers find the same support without sinking into the mattress because of the support layers. The support extends down the entire body of either sleeper, which helps prevent sleep disturbances because of discomfort or pain.
- Durability The purple mattress has only been on the market for a handful of years, but the quality of the mattress and buying close to height, weight, and sleeping specifications helps extend the life of the mattress. Most mattresses cannot expect to exceed ten years of use, but the Purple Mattress’s durability is in the multiple support layers as well as the layer of purple grid form.
- Noise Along with providing strong support for motion isolation, there is no noticeable noise while sleeping on the mattress. The Purple grid is a type of foam on top of multiple layers of transitional and support foam. There is nothing inside the mattress to make noise, such as innerspring mattresses.
- Temperature The design of the purple mattress helps prevent heat from getting absorbed into the mattress. The grid pattern of the two-inch layer of foam helps disperse heat buildup while letting air pass through. The foam support layers do not receive any transfer heat from above, unlike memory foam or polyfoam mattresses.
- Smell Off-gassing or a lingering odor when the mattress is new is a common complaint with memory foam or polyform mattresses. The Purple Mattress does have an initial smell after purchase. Much of the smell is from a new product boxed up immediately after manufacturing, which traps the manufacturing smells in the box with the mattress.
- Edge Support Edge support is important for any partners that have ever ended up on the floor or found that a saggy mattress develops after a couple of years of sleeping on the edge. The Purple Mattress edges provide adequate support for lower or average weight sleepers, though sagging is noticeable when sitting on the edge.
Proper care of the mattress can extend the lifespan and prevent it from developing body impressions or sagging. The mattress should rotate foot-to-head at the latest every six months.
The grid of the purple mattress, along with the support layers, helps prevent the sleeping partner from feeling very little weight transfer. The surface changes little as each person moves as with memory foam mattresses.
Any sleeper that has problems with a memory foam mattress heat buildup should consider buying a Purple Mattress. The limited heat transfer with the unique airflow foam pattern helps the mattress stay cool even when it is summer.
After unboxing, the off-gassing mattress smell dissipates within a couple of days. The open-grid design of the Purple foam allows any trapped smells to disappear. There are limited customer complaints of the smell lingering longer, but they are few.
Off-gassing is a problem with new foam mattresses. Any lingering manufacturing smells tend to dissipate quickly once they are unboxed. The Purple Mattress does not escape it completely because of the layers of support foam. Letting the mattress air for a couple of days will help eliminate this off-gassing smell in most cases.
The sag is more noticeable for sleeping and sitting if the sleeper weighs more than the recommended two-hundred thirty pounds. A sleeping body found less edge sagging than a sitting body. As most mattresses from original spring to memory foam tend to sag when the edge gets sat on, the Purple Mattress shows little difference is wear or the appearance of sagging.
Edge support favors the sleepers who weigh less though even the heavier sleepers found little evidence of sagging long-term when compared with innerspring, memory foam, or hybrid mattresses. Other mattresses have combinations of springs and foam, which work to prevent the edges from sagging or sinking over time from use.
What do People think about the Purple Mattress?
- Lightweight Sleepers (130 Pounds or Less) As noted above, lightweight sleepers found the purple mattress the most comfortable across all sleeping positions. The Purple grid helps distribute the body weight and cushion it without causing the sleeper to sink into the mattress even when changing position. The support stayed consistent for the back, side, and stomach sleepers.
- Average weight Sleepers (131 pounds up to 230 pounds) Most people fall into the average weight sleepers’ category. The degree of comfort they experienced depended mostly on the position they sleep in. Back Sleepers experienced the most comfort and relaxation from the Purple mattresses because of the weight distribution and support, which was equal to the length of their bodies. Average weight side-sleepers also were fairly satisfied with their nights’ sleep though not as much as the back sleepers.
- Heavyweight Sleepers (230+ Pounds) People weighing more than the average sleepers found sleeping on the Purple Mattress a mixture of comforts. Like the average weight sleepers, heavyweight back-sleepers found the most comfort from the mattress. The Purple Mattress weight distribution was more even across the entire body, with some discomfort from middle body weight dipping the mattress more.
A firm bed does not always give enough support to the lightweight sleeper. A soft or medium-soft mattress can provide more comfort as the softer mattress conform to the sleeping body. The Purple Mattress is different in its design because of the top layers of the Purple Grid.
The Purple Grid gives around the sleeping lightweight body as it would for a heavier one allowing it to sink into the mattress, creating its temporary groove, which reduces discomfort as it follows the contours of the lighter body. Smaller side-sleepers might also find the Purple Mattress does not allow the side-sleeper to sink into the mattress.
Stomach sleepers rated the Purple mattress as moderately comfortable for their nights’ sleep at best. Stomach sleepers sagged more in the middle of Purple Grid support because this is where most people carry weight. The extra middleweight causes the mattress to sag more and provides less support.
Side-sleepers experienced similar discomfort from their back and hips because of the middle of the mattress sagging more. Stomach sleepers experienced more back and neck pain and general discomfort because the Purple Memory foam layer is not strong enough to provide them with proper support to prevent sagging.
How does the Original Purple Mattress compare to other Models?
- Purple Hybrid Mattress The Purple Hybrid Mattress is a good choice for sleepers who need more support as they sleep. Like the Original Purple Mattress, the hybrid mattress comes with a two-inch layer of hyper-elastic polymer in the Purple grid pattern that helps distribute weight, while providing consistent airflow. There is also a 1-inch layer of two-pound density polyurethane foam to help support as well as cushion the sleepers.
- Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress The Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress provides the best of the Original Purple Mattress and the Hybrid Mattress. Like both mattresses, the Premier Mattress comes with a layer of Purple Grid Hyper-Elastic Polymer as the top layer of support. Except for the Purple Premier, Mattress has four-inches of material for the body to relax into along with the one-inch of Density Polyurethane foam and 7.5-inches of pockets spring coils.
The main difference between the Original Purple Mattress and the Hybrid version is the 7.5-inches of pockets springs. The Purple Hybrid Mattress is more like a traditional mattress with layers of Purple Gird foam to provide airflow. The combination of Purple Grid foam with the coil system helps to provide more support for heavier sleepers who get too hot with regular foam mattresses.
The extra Purple Grid layer helps provide a deeper rest of heavier sleepers and provides a more zero gravity feel to lighter sleepers. The base layer provides all the extra support a sleeping body could need, no matter what the weight. The mattress is the top-of-the-Purple-line Mattress, which means it does not come cheap, but it is worth it for the amazing nights’ sleep that is possible from it.
The benefits of the Purple Mattress are many. It is an item sold around the United States in Stores and online. It is a United States manufactured product that comes with a one hundred night sleep trial in addition to the ten-year warranty. It is a mattress to add to the list of future purchases.